Completed in December of 1914, the Poweshiek County Jail is one of the oldest Jails in Iowa. Until 1978, the sheriff and his family lived in the front part of the jail. In 2009, after the new Public Safety Building opened, the jail was to be sold to the highest bidder. The Poweshiek County Historical and Genealogical Society expressed an interest in buying the building to be used as a museum. An agreement was made by the county and the society and the building was purchased for $1 and a pledge by the society not to receive the $2,000 donation from the county for 17.5 years which it had annually received. After extensive remodeling by volunteers, the museum was opened on July 7, 2012 for the Let Freedom Ring celebration. Tours for the museum can be made by calling (641-623-3322) or emailing the library at email@example.com. A donation of $2 for adults, $1 for students and under 5 free. At present, the museum is not handicap accessible but we hope to be in the future.