The wood Memorial Board was erected January 1945 by the Knights of Pythias Lodge. It had four sides and came to a peak at the top, similar to the Washington Monument in the nation capital. It stood twenty seven feet high and was on a firm base just under eight feet square and stood on the northwest corner of the Courthouse lawn. It was dedicated to the men and women who served in World War II. In 1949 the monument was torn down due to falling to pieces from the elements.
The old bell from the Courthouse that had rung the joyous notes of victory at the confession of three wars, surmounts the top of the monument. The American Legion mounted the bell on top of the imposing stone monument in front of the Courthouse in 1921.
This memorial stone has 189 names of the members of the G.A.R. Post. It was dedicated May 29, 1927 by the G.A.R. and placed on the west side of the square. On July 5, 2013 it was moved to its new location on the northeast corner of the Courthouse lawn. The Civil War cannons were brought to Montezuma from Florida in 1902. They date back to 1858.
This monument is located on the northwest corner of the Courthouse lawn and was dedicated by the Blakely Stevens American Legion Post 169 November 11, 2007. The Legion held a brick drive for anyone who wanted to honor a veteran or have their name engraved on a brick to thank the men and women who served or are still serving our country.
Montezuma is the first in the nation to have the Bill of Rights which is located in front of the Courthouse. It was built and dedicated in July 2008, following the hard work of nationally known juggler, comedian and Bill of Rights activist Chris Bliss and Hazel Sig Hester.
Frank Harding, whose generosity made it possible for the Sheridan people, had this monument built in the west part of the cemetery. It was dedicated May 26, 1918.
Greenfield artist Ray “Bubba” Sorensen II started painting the rock August 5 and finished August 12, 2016. The four sides feature Harold “Pie” Keller, Brooklyn native at Iwo Jima flag raising, U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Thomas Cowie, Montezuma native, U.S. Army Captain Merlin Stoker, Guernsey native and decorated soldier and Chief Poweshiek. The Blakely Stevens American Legion Post 169 dedicated the Freedom Rock on September 11, 2016.
A large Soldier’s monument, erected in 1882, dominates the center part of the Odd Fellow’s Cemetery. It bears the following inscription: “Erected to the memory of our fallen comrades, who died on land and sea, to sustain the old Flag: 1861-1865, by the Brooklyn Veteran Union.” There is an inscription on each side of the monument to represent the four major battles in which the men from Brooklyn were engaged in the Civil War and in which they lost their lives. These battles were Vicksburg, Shiloh, Richmond and Nashville.
By September 1908 an estimate of $850 for an Italian stone monument had been established for the purchase of a permanent soldier’s monument for those who had fought in the Civil War. The Chester Cemetery Association voted to give $50 towards the purchase. All kinds of fund raisers were held to raise funds, and about 1914 the monument was placed on the west side of the cemetery. The inscription reads: “In memory of our fallen heroes 1861 – 1865.”
Copyright © 2022 Poweshiek County Historical and Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy